Friday, February 19, 2010

The Rector of Southover


This is a self portrait from way back in the early '90's. 
I was busy studying early theories relating to the rendering of three dimensional space in two dimensional paintings. My book on the table is John White's The birth and rebirth of Pictorial Space and was, as I recall the prompt for this picture. The steps behind mimic Donatello's trick of combining steps with perspective lines to double the illusion.
It was bought by my long lost friend Stephen Daughtery and his wife Mandy. But today after one or two false starts we emailed each other and made contact again after twenty years and he tells me this picture still hangs in his study. 
Time and Space now resides in the Rectory study with its owner, The Rector of Southover Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts