Wednesday, March 17, 2010

David Smith


While reading David Smith, A Sculptor and his Work by Stanley E Marcus I came across this work by called 'Sitting Printer' from around 1930 incorporating a printers lead type tray. At this time he was moving away from monolithic focus on what he called 'frontality and flatness and then on to examine the 'open centre' all things we may now take for granted but at the time, alongside painters, it was groundbreaking material.
I was reminded of my piece 'Puzzle' that also incorporated a printers tray, but in a very different way. The sub-divisions organized by ergonomic utility make a beautiful arrangement. Balancing colour within the segments I set  up an extension of that arrangement. Made around 1999, this piece still works for me and I rather wish I still owned it.