Saturday, August 14, 2010

settlement iii


A move into pastel this morning.
This is one of two I managed this morning from another drawing in the Spanish Sketchbook.
It is one of my 'enclosures', a place to be. It is of course an extension of yesterdays ''settlement' with the coded spiral more in evidence. This spiral and the colour/tone arrangement draws the viewer powerfully to the centre and one has to fight that pull to examine other corners of the work.
(Those rows of cabbages are a step to far and I believe will have to go, giving a clearer opportunity to evaluate the trees.)
The use of tone to lift the central portion unfortunately adds to the realism, my intention at the beginning was not so and to rely on colour alone to generate this attraction to the middle and my next test will pursue this objective.