Thursday, September 23, 2010

A letter from a friend


Neglected things

I had never heard of Wilhelmina Barns-Graham until yesterday. A friend who is blissfully removed from our techno-world occasionally writes to me a sheet of handwritten thoughts to which I respond. From yesterdays bunch of mail slipped an envelope with the familiar handwriting and the ensuing letter enthused over the forgotten Wilhelmina Barns-Graham.
An image search on google soon delivered an amazing set of drawings and paintings, many of earth and water forms of extraordinary precision and beauty that were then transformed into wonderful colour abstracts, emotional responses to the forms. These are a revelation to me, a parcel of unknown treasures to examine and learn from. 
You may of course know all about her, but if not, Wilhemina Barns-Graham is worth a little research.
For me though, time to turn off the computer, take a sheet of paper and write a letter to my friend