Wednesday, February 9, 2011

New work from old drawings


This I painted yesterday. It was developed from two pages of drawings that I had always been attracted to but as yet had been unable to use. I am interested in the stacking of interlocking shapes and colours that will reference the mind towards a recognition. While it could be seen as rather dated as a concept, I find these side-steps in method do stimulate movement in the practical discipline of painting.

I have considered making it as a sculptural piece, but in the meantime will make further adjustments to this piece as it dries. There is also the possibility of another painted version that employs a sense of three dimensional form but without resorting to external light to explain it. Such limitations for me always expands creativity.