Thursday, August 11, 2011

Figure(s)


Figure(s)

There is some authority about this piece, both in what is painted and how it is painted.
I have studied it for some time, even though it has taken on a new level of immediacy or what may be construed as roughness I cannot bring myself to make any further alteration. It takes the viewer with a degree of force that is satisfying.
This work will yield a number of readings (hence the title) and I have no wish to authorise any particular view be it gender or attitude. It is certainly multi-layered and complicated in its message and all I can say is, that as usual my thinking has a metaphysical bias.
The pale Turquoise and Naples yellow make an interesting base for the palette and its 'flatness' in rendering takes me to those Assyrian low relief's in the British Museum.
Any thoughts on interpretation are always interesting - do let me know . . . .