Monday, October 24, 2011

at the movies


Attitudes

I am immersed in a world of eight year olds, with five grandchildren staying for a few days my days are not as they were.
Apart from continuous chatter and laughing I notice a huge variety of attitudes as they eat, climb, squirm, jump and wriggle. Then I saw them watching TV, as bodies matched their response to the drama - this reminded me of a photograph in a newspaper I was compelled to copy some years ago as reproduced here. The old cinema shot says everything about watching a film, of being completely entranced with the action.
As I debate in my own mind future work this liveliness, this motion of the body so much seen in history painting that I notice has largely disappeared  today. Now surrounded by bodies in motion, by drama and urgent streams of words I wonder how it could work in paint.