Thursday, December 15, 2011

Nativity

Mary and Joseph come for Christmas
Last week I posted some thoughts on 'Direct Painting' that featured a couple on a yellow ground.  Recently I took up this canvas again to make some adjustments to it, the adjustments turned out more radical than expected!
Not only has that Indian Yellow ground been almost completely over painted but the woman now appears to have a baby! My revisions are usually driven by overall abstract qualities in areas of the work that are unsatisfactory. These revisions are a series of testings that enable me to find improvements to the grand scheme. Babies were not the idea, but a revision test that I approved of had a real suggestion of one and it has remained in the work.
The temptation to encourage this seasonal context is possible, that Jesus Christ should have a place in my work is OK by me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts