Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A nice book or two


While indulging in a little pleasure, namely examining the art section in Oxted's excellent little secondhand bookshop I came across two things.
1. A limited edition of Samuel Palmer's sketchbook. This was No146, and the publisher was Trianon Press For The William Blake Trust. I was more than a little wobbled, I returned 24hrs later to secure this wonderful little book. See all 79 pages in the British Museum original. I am so delighted to see the transfer of thought, to see his translation of that golden valley into the little pictorial jewels that he painted.
2. On my second visit I saw the Nicholson book above, curious, I checked the asking price, 250 was written inside in pencil. I asked."is this £2.50, £25.00 or £250? He replied with a sheepish grin, "£250.00, apparently rather rare now sir"  First Printed in 1986 and never reprinted it is a lovely book recording a lovely lady. Now I was rather pleased, for I bought a remaindered copy around 1992 for £16.00. Not bad, I hope my investment in the Palmer does as well - but the S/H book market is very fickle, and anyway, I'm not selling.


No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts