Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Samuel Palmer



I well remember my amazement when, years ago, I first lifted the old red velvet covers that protected the drawings and paintings of Samuel Palmer in the filtered light of the old Ashmolem Museum in Oxford. Sure, I knew what I was looking for, I'd seen them in a book but those little jewels were more than I was prepared for. Over the years my book of reproductions is visited with regularity and always works its magic.
As I mentioned in an earlier entry, I recently aquired a limited edition reproduction of one of Palmer's sketchbooks. The writings/jottings on these pages are an insight into the personal journey between words and images, a journey of biblical influence and the wonders of the Shoreham Valley in 1824. They are intense, while copying they extend, they deepen my sense of wonder as I share in his observation of,  and his immersion in creation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts