Friday, June 22, 2012

TERESIÆ


TERESIÆ
The last blog mention Da Vinci, today its Picasso. As I recall Pablo, his advice was ' You can do whatever you like, just don't do it twice', so today there are no da Vinci smudges! Instead I have turned to ancient Persia, work I have a special fondness for.
Below is a drawing of the derelict chapel at Hotel Casa Volpi near Arezzo. Attracted by the classical form and the trees I made the drawing during a recent stay.
It catches my attention, how to interpret the drawing is always the question, I will try a Persian angle.Taking a ruler I divide the canvas to indicate the building and find a 'Terisiæ' on another page in the Italian sketchbook.
Above is the base colour for a new oil 80cm square. I am not a Catholic as such and have no special respect for St Terisiæ, to whom the chapel was dedicated, but I rather wanted to include a 'Terisiæ' as she seemed present and had a mention on the building - so I put her in. To maintain the metaphysical slant I altered the trees to become guardian angels, such as have figured in many works of mine in the past.
When dry this will be interesting to develop, but not today.



No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts