Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A haptic high

A haptic high  
While reading Carl Andre recently the word 'haptic' occurred a number of times. Not a common word, haptic, - I needed to look it up for a precise rendering, and just in case it helps the reader, I will paste in the definition.
adjective technical
of or relating to the sense of touch, in particular relating to the perception and manipulation of objects using the senses of touch and proprioception.
ORIGIN late 19th cent.: from Greek haptikos ‘able to touch or grasp,’ from haptein ‘fasten.’
I mention this as it sums up a show I happened upon in Saint Nazaire, in the Centre d'art contemporain known as Le Gand cafe last week incorporating the artist Séverine Hubbard. Her installation (above) Joli turbin, 2011 certainly delivered a haptic high for me!
Such an engaging mix of materials and colours to move between - Her choices were playful in a profound way, I smiled while lifted with pure delight as I experienced the diverse forms and surfaces that spoke while they enveloped me.
They were nothing, but they made an extraordinary something by her choice and arrangement. I found it hard to tear myself away. Touch like smell runs deep in us, this installation ran deep and even now is with me - as it entered me unexpectedly and completely.


No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts