Thursday, October 25, 2012

Big stuff


A change is as good as a rest

I am busy with garden alterations, soil retention schemes and large oak structures. Here I am framing up some heavy green oak timbers adjacent to the house on which to grow a climbing rose. To erect this sort of structure needs careful consideration else proportions can be ill judged and annoying for the years to come! This proportion applies to the size of the timbers and the size of the structure. Like a sculpture, it needs to be right.
Once decisions have been made and I have acquired the oak from the sawmill, carpentry is an enjoyable diversion. Sharp chisels, buttery oak and big squares along with the smell of new timber carry me along quietly.
Painting is not forgotten, it turns over slowly at the back of my mind, now and then I sit in the studio, I need no ideas at the moment for I am employed elsewhere in the garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts