Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Unsophisticated art



Art comes in many forms.

I am hunting around for renewed energy to begin work. Hunting around the secondhand bookshops in Lewes on a damp October day seemed a reasonable way to achieve the goal especially if coffee and late lunches were involved.
Apart from a Gothic painting and a Grammar of ornament my other purchase was an Architectural Press publication from 1951 by Babara Jones titled the unsophisticated ARTS. I share with you the drawing opposite the title page to give a flavour of the work. Chapters include Demountable Baroque - Roundabouts, Automata and Simulacra, Amusement arcades and Cranford Magna.
This is my country. More to one side than most, its common roots speak to us all like the smell of candy floss and toffee apples.
I say abandon smarty art - forget posh - 'give us kiss on the waltzer' and live again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts