Monday, January 7, 2013

The shape of space



The studio has seen no action for 4 months. It had taken on a deserted feel of abandonment.
With my son so ill I felt no inclination to work.
The winter closes in dark and damp.
Across the garden the studio outline looks sullen. I read different stuff.
Christmas comes and goes.

New years day: I visit the studio and look around.
It gently annoys me in its layout and content.
The annoyance translates into a plan, things will not be the same again.
Latent schemes are resurrected, redundant material is discarded.
A lightness enters my spirit.

More and more is discarded, the interior is dismantled -
The shape of space changes, releasing
an energy that finds fragments of time to execute more change.
The known is exchanged for the unknown.
A hint of life emerges from the chaos.

The truth is that I and my studio are one, what happens to me is replicated there.
I thought I was writing about my workspace
when all the time I was writing about myself.
The known is exchanged for the unknown.
A hint of life emerges from the chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts