Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Making Picture frames


How I plan to make some new picture frames.

My regular framer is indisposed due to illness, this puts me in a difficulty. Showing pictures without a frame weakens the impact, show pictures in poor frames adds a negative aura that damages the whole show. Pulling skills from a woodworking past I must see if something can be done.
I have nine new oils of varying sizes that need simple elegant frames about 90mm wide, contemprary, with a nod at tradition. I begin to draw sections of possible solutions on scrap paper. First, the moulding must be composed of a number of pieces else it will twist and bow, 90mm in one piece cannot be trusted to stay straight in central heating. More than one piece laminated together will balace the stresses and keep it true, further it will be stronger and lighter.

The section I settle for is made of four pieces, soft wood and mdf with a fith corner piece to strengthen the corner and prevent it opening up as is often the case in wider frames. The proportions are traditional, with a semi floated canvas and a flush face to the frame which will be painted and polished.
With 20 seperate pieces for each frame and nine frames I have 180 seperate pieces to make and assemble and then apply a finish, not to be the work of an afternoon, but they will I trust, look good.



No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts