Friday, May 31, 2013

Cafe beginnings



Here are the embryonic ideas that may develop into a new 'Cafe' oil painting. This large watercolour sketch contains the gist of what is wanted, but not in the right quantities.
Figures, three tables and backdrop all fine, it just needs compression to exagerate the dynamics of figures in a closer juxtaposition. From this draft I will make a new drawing, scaling up the figures, overlapping some and watching how form interacts when expanded.
Colour too must be heightened, and to this end I have prepared a canvas now coloured with a Venetian Red ground from which to start. While this dries I will contemplate other themes for the same venue - I like more than one pan on at once - it keeps me alive.


No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts